Summertime is the perfect time to get out and enjoy the warm weather with your furry friend. Whether you’re hitting the beach for a day of fun in the sun or taking a scenic walk along the river, keeping your dog safe while enjoying the great outdoors is important.
You also have to be mindful of your dog if you have a pool at home and take the necessary precautions to keep your dog from drowning. Over 5,000 dogs drown annually in family pools and you surely don’t want fluffy to be a part of the statistics.
Here are five ways to help ensure that your pup stays safe while swimming and playing in water this season.
- Always keep a close eye on your dogs when they’re around water.
- Make sure your dog knows how to swim and is comfortable in the water.
- Teach your dog basic commands like “stay” and “come” so you can better control their behavior near water.
- Invest in a life jacket or doggie floatie for extra safety.
- If your dog isn’t a good swimmer, avoid taking him to deep water or areas with strong currents.
Summer is a great time to get out and enjoy the water with your furry friend, but it’s important to remember that dogs can drown just like people. Although dogs are swimmers by nature, some breeds don’t do as well in the water. Follow these simple tips to keep your dog safe in the water, and you can both have some fun swimming together.
Have you ever gone swimming with your pup? Let us know in the comments!